Canada Day Salad – to go with Ross’s fajitas
- 1-2 heads romaine lettuce, chopped
- 3 ears fresh corn, steamed, cooled, and cut off the co
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 red bell pepper, minced
- ½ good-sized jicama, chopped
- 1 tub tiny (pearl) mozzarella balls
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 5 small corn tortillas, sliced into strips
Oil for frying
- ¼ C bottled lime juice
- ½ fresh lemon, squeezed
- ½ C olive oil
- 2 T rice vinegar
- 2 T honey (orange, mangrove, tangerine, or local honey works best)
- ½ minced jalepeno
- 1/3 C chopped cilantro
- Salt to taste
- Fry tortilla strips until crispy, drain on paper towels. Lightly salt. Cool. Set aside.
- Mix all dressing ingredients in salad bowl.
- Prepare all vegetables and toss in bowl with dressing. If preparing ahead, toss all vegetables except lettuce with dressing so they can marinate. Toss in lettuce at last minute
- Sprinkle fried tortilla strips on top of salad when ready to serve.
Continue Reading ›