For the crust:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 5/8 sticks (13 Tbs.) unsalted butter, chilled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- up to 1/4 cup ice water
For the filling:
- 7 small Granny Smith Apples
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons instant tapioca
- 1/2 cup Gallberry Honey
- Prepare the crust by cutting in butter to flour and salt until it resembles coarse cornmeal. Add water 1 Tbs. at at time and mix in with a fork just until the dough comes together in a ball. Do not knead.
- Separate dough into two halves, wrap in plastic, and store in refrigerator for about an hour
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Farenheit.Peel, core, and slice apples
- Sauté apples in butter until they lose their crunch then remove from heat.
- Mix honey and tapioca into apples and toss to completely coat all surfaces.
- Roll out 1 ball of dough to make a bottom crust and line a 9" pie pan. Prick the bottom all over with a fork.
- Roll out the other dough ball to make a top crust.
- Using a slotted spoon, add apples to pie pan then pour the liquid over the top. Add top crust, pierce the top a few times and put in the oven immediately.
- Bake 45-60 minutes until the crust is golden brown.
- Cool completely before slicing.