- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup dark honey (we like Gallberry the best for this, but New England fall honey, South Jersey Pine Barren, or whatever you have at hand will work just as well)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Demerara (raw) sugar for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Add honey and egg and mix well.
- Sift in dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Form into small balls and roll in sugar (a small sorbet scoop or cookie scoop works perfectly) to completely coat dough balls. (If you don't have demerara sugar, ordinary white sugar works fine but it doesn't have the same satisfying crunch.)
- Put cookie balls onto a baking sheet lined with parchment (or greased if you don't have parchment) and bake or 8-10 minutes.
- Let cookies cool on the pan for 2-3 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.
Serve with a chilled glass of B Nektar Tupelo Mead (click this link) and it will turn the end of any dinner into a memorable event.
*Special thanks to Wee Folk Art for for this recipe's inspiration.